What is a sensitivity reader?
A sensitivity reader reads through a manuscript for issues of representation and for instances of bias on the page. The goal of a sensitivity reader isn’t to edit a manuscript clarity and logic, although that may be an additional service offered. A sensitivity reader reviews a manuscript for internalized bias and negatively charged language. A sensitivity reader is there to help make sure you do not make a mistake, but they are also NOT a guarantee against making a mistake. –Write in the Margins
What I can sensitivity read for:
- Asexual & sex-averse rep
- Mental illness rep (specifically generalized & social anxiety, panic attacks, claustrophobia, and hypochondria)
- Chronic pain rep
- Homeschooling rep (specifically online schooling)
What you’ll get:
For full manuscripts (30,000 or more words):
After thoroughly reading your manuscript, I will provide you with a 1-2 page document detailing any aspects I found to be problematic, harmful, and/or stereotypical (specifically to the above identities but also to other marginalized communities based on my knowledge) with specific quotes or passages pointed out. I will also provide suggestions on how to address these issues and whether or not you should consider hiring sensitivity readers for other areas.
For a partial manuscript or specific scenes (less than 30,000 words):
I will thoroughly read your partial manuscript or specific scene(s) and provide you with a 1 page or less report of any lines/sections I found to be problematic, harmful, and/or stereotypical (specifically to the above identities but also to other marginalized communities based on my knowledge). I will also provide suggestions on how to address these issues and whether or not you should consider hiring sensitivity readers for other areas.
I will do sensitivity reads for the following genres:
- Science Fiction
- Historical Fiction/Historical Fantasy
I would prefer Young Adult books but will consider Middle Grade and Adult novels in the above genres.
I won’t do sensitivity reads for the following genres:
- Religious/spiritual books
Partial manuscripts/specific scenes:
- Less than 10,000 words: $25
- Between 10,000 and 30,000 words: $50
- Between 30,001 and 60,000 words: $150
- Between 60,001 and 100,000 words: $250
- Above 100,000 words: Will discuss on a case by case basis
- Since everyone experiences things differently and no minority is a monolith, I cannot promise to find every problematic or harmful aspect in your manuscript. I will do my best to spot everything I can but you should definitely consider hiring more than one sensitivity reader for each type of rep your book has.
- Your manuscript must be finished and have already been through the drafting process in order to receive a full manuscript sensitivity read from me.
- The turnaround time depends on what my schedule currently looks like. If you need your sensitivity read done by a certain time, let me know and I’ll see if that will work for me!
- My prices are all flexible/negotiable especially for students and/or those with financial difficulties. Please let me know if you cannot afford my prices and we can work something out!
- I would prefer to have the full payment for my sensitivity read paid upfront but if that’s not possible for you, I will accept half of the payment upfront and the other half once I’ve completed the sensitivity read.
- I will accept payments through PayPal only.
- If I have to stop reading your manuscript for any reason I will refund based on how far into the manuscript I read. Other than that, I don’t refund for any other reasons since you’re paying for my time.
How to request a sensitivity read:
Send an email with the subject line “Sensitivity Read Request” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Whether you need a partial manuscript/specific scene(s) SR or full manuscript SR
- Title of the book
- Word count
- Synopsis or description of the book
- What genre(s) the book falls into
- Whether the book is Young Adult, Middle Grade, or Adult
- What you want me to sensitivity read for
- Time deadline (if applicable)
Have questions before requesting?
Feel free to email me at email@example.com with any questions you may have regarding my sensitivity reading services!